Case Study 28: Catholic Church authorities in Ballarat
The public hearing inquired into the response of the Catholic Church authorities in Ballarat to allegations of child sexual abuse.
- Stage 1: Public hearing at Ballarat Magistrates Court from Tuesday 19 to Friday 29 May 2015.
- Stage 2: Public hearing at the County Court of Victoria from Monday 7 to Wednesday 16 December 2015.
- Directions hearing to consider Cardinal George Pell’s and Bishop Ronald Mulkearns’ capacity to attend the third part of the public hearing in Ballarat, in Sydney on Friday 5 and Monday 8 February 2016.
- Stage 3: Public hearing at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on 22 February 2016.
- Cardinal George Pell gave evidence from 29 February 2016 by video link from Rome. The Royal Commission sat in Sydney and, in accordance with a request from Cardinal Pell, the hearing commenced at 08:00am AEDT. The Trench Room at Ballarat Town Hall was made available for members of the community during the public hearing, including Cardinal Pell’s evidence.
- The Directions hearing held in Sydney on Wednesday 13 April 2016 addressed a number of outstanding matters in relation to Bishop Mulkearns’ evidence and setting a timetable for written submissions.
For more information on each stage, please see the documents and transcripts below.
The scope and purpose of the public hearing was to inquire into:
- The response of the Catholic Diocese of Ballarat and other Catholic Church authorities in Ballarat to allegations of child sexual abuse against clergy or religious.
- The response of the Congregation of the Christian Brothers in St Patrick’s Province, Australia, to allegations of child sexual abuse against Christian Brothers.
- Any related matters.